Monday, March 1, 2010

#42 Narrow Fellow in the Grass

Upon reading the poem A Narrow Fellow in the Grass by Emily Dickinson I must admit that I am not impressed. I did not feel anything special from this poem and frankly, I found it boring and stupid. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Emily and her work. I'm simply saying that it isn't for me. However, I do feel i was able to analyze it pretty well. Here it goes-

The poem is essentially about a man and grass. I know what your thinking, that any idiot could figure that out. Well, I'm one of the idiots that did. So, take that! let's keep going. Emily DIckinson describes being a child and walking barefoot in the grass in the third stanza. In the second stanza she describes how the grass is parted by objects. This is imagery because she is showing us how the grass can be moved. she quotes that the grass parts- as with a comb-. In the first stanza (I know I'm going backwards but don't worry, I know what I'm doing) she describes how a narrow fellow moves through the grass, parting it.

Moving on, the fourth stanza is a bit difficult for me to explain to you so I'll simply move on and if you really can you can check out some one else's blog. The fifth, and last stanza, describes how the main character of the poem has never met this narrow fellow she describes, who can presumably be nature itself. I know, it lacking a little bit, but I'm not well versed in poetry and I'm doing the best that I can so cut me some slack.

ANother point I would like to make is that the end of the second and fourth sentences rhyme. Also, each stanza has four sentences in it. THis shows that Emily Dickinson knows how to effectively organize a poem into stanzas where convenient pieces rhyme... I'll give her that one... but it still doesn't make this poem any better. Thank you for your time, have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment