Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Journal #36 ACT preparation

The ACT is commonly portrayed as an important test. Don't get me wrong, it is important, but it is nothing to get upset about. This test measures your capabilities and as long as you work hard in school and try your best you will be fine. The score essentially goes away once you get into college and then graduate and start your career. So, in essence, there really is no point in getting worked up about this because doing your best is all you can do.

When I took the ACT back in December I was not afraid to be a hero. I woke up early so that i could shower and eat a hearty breakfast. I double, then triple checked my equipment (calculator, pencils, etc) and got into my car to drive to the designated rendezvous point, Matthew's house. I was nominated to drive us out there because we all decided my 97' Chevy malibu was the best car and would make us look like all-stars.

The test itself was tricky... The math and science ate me alive and im pretty sure its not passable for most people. The reading and English got torn up by me and i did very well on them.

There are many steps you can take to prepare for the ACT, including prep classes. I personally took classes with Jason Franklin. Together the two of us (and everyone else in the room) tackled math and science problems and it gave me the confidence I needed to not panic during the actual test. There are also ACT prep books available for students to use.

The most important thing to remember is to simply not panic. Worst comes to Worst, you can retake the test, so just keep a level head. When people panic they perform worse and don't score as high. If you walk into the testing area with confidence you are one step ahead of most people. When you go to take the test just remember, bring all your necessary pencils, calculators, etc. and just don't worry about it. Worrying about this test simply isn't worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment